The Public Theater is of, by and for the people. With five stages at its Astor Place home, Free Shakespeare in the Park, its Mobile Unit, its innovative and now national Public Works, Joe’s Pub, Public Forum, Emerging Writers Group and a track record of generating new works that enter the canon of American theater, The Public stands alone in its values, brand and commitment to excellence and inclusion. Led by Artistic Director Oskar Eustis and Executive Director Patrick Willingham, The Public has enjoyed solid financial and institutional growth over the past 10 years in which contributed revenues and budgets have more than doubled. With an engaged Board of Trustees, The Public is planning to launch the largest Capital Campaign in American theater to address its ageing facilities and to secure its future.
The Director of Individual Giving and Major Gifts will report to Chief Advancement Officer, Terry Morello. This staff member will have significant responsibilities for the management of a team of individual giving staff members in raising annual support of more than $10M.
The successful candidate will be an entrepreneurial, energetic, goal-oriented development leader with demonstrated experience in running comprehensive individual giving campaigns in a crowded cultural marketplace. The successful candidate will be an excellent communicator in verbal, written, and presentation forms. This staff member will have good interpersonal skills to work collaboratively with marketing, development and membership colleagues to support a busy year-round schedule. This individual will advise and set strategy for best practices in development, data management, direct mail fundraising programs, small gift efforts, and events to support restricted and unrestricted giving as well as a Major Capital Campaign.
This is a busy and exciting role within one of America’s leading theater organizations.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. STRATEGY DEVELOPMENT: In consultation with the Chief Advancement Officer, design and implement a comprehensive annual giving campaign strategy, with measurable goals and objectives that meet The Public’s annual operating requirements and which lay continuing groundwork for increasing contributed revenues in subsequent seasons/development cycles. Additionally, this position will oversee planning and strategy for small-gift campaigns throughout the year and support the strategy for launching a capital campaign.
2. INDIVIDUAL GIVING: In consultation with the Chief Advancement Officer and reporting staff, design and execute specific revenue strategies for The Public’s giving initiatives: its Partners Program (approximately 1,800 donors of $2,500-$25,000+), and its Young Partners Program (approximately 300 donors aged under 40 years); its Major Gifts Councils: Producers Council, Shakespeare Council and Musical Theater Council; and liaise with the Marketing department to fundraise for the Public Supporters Program. This position will be responsible for aligning donor benefits and ongoing stewardship; evaluating and setting strategies for direct mail acquisition, renewals, and administration; program-related sales and marketing materials. The Director of Individual Giving and Major Gifts will develop and implement a planned giving program and strategy for The Public that can be launched next Season.
3. MAJOR GIFTS: Working collaboratively with the Chief Advancement Officer and senior departmental colleagues, spearhead an increased organizational focus on major gifts fundraising to support an ambitious Capital Campaign. Devise and implement new strategies to acquire, renew, and upgrade major donors; identify new artistic and program-based giving opportunities to attract and retain major donors and increase their loyalty.
4. STAFF MANAGEMENT: Recruit, train, mentor and supervise an enthusiastic development team of Major Gift Officers, and early-career professionals and interns; create best practice training materials and written departmental protocols for standard development operations; train staff; manage and monitor work goals and objectives of reporting staff.
5. FINANCIAL MANAGEMENT: In consultation with the Chief Advancement Officer, track and analyze individual giving program performance on an ongoing basis; prepare annual operating budget revenue and expense forecasts; monitor financial performance against budget and prepare monthly financial reports for senior management; manage departmental expenditures to budget.
6. SPECIAL EVENTS: Working collaboratively with departmental colleagues, strategically support the effective implementation and execution of an annual events schedule, including donor cultivation events, performance receptions, Galas, performance ticketing, and related efforts.
7. MARKETING LIAISON: Partner with the marketing team to build online fundraising capacity and attract additional financial resources to the organization; coordinate the creation of new online fundraising initiatives with the marketing department and outside agencies as necessary.
- A minimum of 10 years of development management experience;
- A track record of successfully closing major gifts and exceeding contributed income goals in a competitive fundraising environment;
- Experience with Capital Campaigns planning and operations to support strategic solicitations for Major Gifts that do not compromise annual giving;
- Knowledge of theater and a passion for The Public’s mission, programs, and future plans;
- Demonstrated experience successfully recruiting, managing and retaining staff;
- Strong planning, strategy, financial, budgeting, analytical, and communication skills;
- Prior experience in marketing will be favorably regarded, as audience development, database mining, prospect research, and the fundraising application of new technologies are all high priorities for the institution.
- Proficiency in Tessitura, The Raiser’s Edge, or a comparable fundraising software; and
- Ability and willingness to work evenings/weekends to manage The Public’s fundraising events program.
Compensation, including benefits, is competitive and commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com