The Public Theater is seeking an Associate Director of Special Artistic Projects to work closely with the Director of Special Artistic Projects to oversee the Mobile Unit and Public Forum. This is a senior-level position focused primarily on managing the day-to-day operations of these two artistic programs.
- Work with the Director of Special Artistic Projects to manage all aspects of the logistical, financial and artistic needs for the Public Forum and Mobile Unit programs, and other special artistic projects as assigned.
- Collaborate closely with The Public’s marketing team to establish and maintain consistent messaging around all Public Forum and Mobile Unit activity.
- Lead internal strategy conversations around the creation and dissemination of Public Forum digital content.
- Establish and monitor internal communication systems for operational support of both programs, including running interdepartmental meetings, liaising with project tracking processes, and ensuring key internal stakeholders are well-informed of all program activities.
- Manage the logistical and administrative components of pilot projects and ensure the timely dissemination of key learnings to senior management as well as peer team members.
- Serve as Public Forum point person for external partners as assigned. Past partners have included WNYC Greene Space, The New Yorker, and the International Rescue Committee.
- Serve as primary liaison to key internal departments such as General Management, Finance and Marketing.
- Direct the approval of all external facing collateral including playbill materials, press releases and marketing materials.
- Manage all Public Forum and Mobile Unit program budgets, with focus on forecasting and next season planning.
- Serve as internal artistic point person on select Public Forums, as well as expanded Mobile Unit activity, helping to curate participants and shepherd creative processes as appropriate.
- Assist Director of SAP in operationalizing the 12-18 month activity within the Mobile Unit and Public Forum program plans.
- 7 – 10 years of arts administration experience, including budget management and contract negotiations
- Communication: The ability to express oneself clearly in conversations and interactions with others
- Ingenuity: The ability to develop, sponsor, and support the introduction of new and improved methods, procedures or technologies
- Cultural Competence: The ability to interact effectively with people of different cultures and socio-economic backgrounds
- Leadership: The ability to galvanize a team around a common goal, taking initiative, and anticipating needs
- Problem Solving: The ability to tackle a problem using a logical, systematic, sequential approach
- Successfully manage multiple competing priorities in a fast-paced environment
The Public is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Applicants from populations underrepresented in the theater field are strongly encouraged to apply. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, familial status, sexual orientation, national origin, ability, age, or veteran status.
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com Please do not contact the hiring manager directly. The deadline for applications is July 10th, 2017. Interviews will be held throughout July and August.
About the Mobile Unit
The Mobile Unit presents free performances to prisons, homeless shelters, and community centers throughout New York’s boroughs. Over the years, the Mobile Unit has served thousands of audiences with critically acclaimed productions. In addition to the community tour, each Mobile Unit show “sits down” at The Public Theater’s Astor Place home to perform for Public audiences and community organizations from all over the city.
About the Public Forum
Public Forum brings together surprising combinations of artists, audiences, and experts to explore the issues and ideas raised on our stages. Forum activity ranges from one-of-a-kind events with some of the most original thinkers of today to post show discussions and online content curation. Past Public Forum participants and partners have included: David Brooks, Anna Deavere Smith, Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson, Matt Damon, Audra McDonald, David Remnick and The New Yorker, The Center for Constitutional Rights, and more.