The Public Theater is looking for an experienced Manager of Community Partnerships to join the Public Works program. The Manager of Community Partnerships will steward relationships with all community partner organizations, particularly the leaders of these organizations. This individual acts as a year-round liaison between community partners and The Public, and oversees a portfolio of current and alumni partner organizations. In addition, the manager will research and maintain database profiles on prospective partner organizations.
The manager will oversee the development of community classes and curriculum, designing and overseeing all classes at community sites. They will coordinate and communicate class information, and Public Works-related activities to the leaders in the community partner locations. The manager will also be responsible for the recruitment, hiring, and supervision of all teaching artists. This individual will have the capacity to teach theater practice (acting, script-writing and reading, dramaturgical research, and aspects of directing etc.) for individuals from diverse backgrounds and experience levels.
- Maintains portfolio of current and alumni partner organizations, keeping contacts, history and agreement terms up-to-date and organized. Builds relationships with, and develops profiles of prospective partner organizations.
- Leads marketing and promotion of community partner performances and events. Guides the design and preparation of all community collateral pieces (class and potluck posters, audition fliers, slideshows, etc.)
- Works with Public Works Coordinator to organize and successfully execute monthly community Potlucks and Affinity groups.
- Coordinates schedule of auditions for ACTivate and summer pageant at community partner sites. Manages/facilitates travel for community ensemble to/from audition and rehearsal locations (as needed).
- Researches, scouts and creates database for potential Cameo Groups for Public Works pageant productions.
- Creates visual dramaturgy materials for rehearsal room and community participants in the annual Public Works pageant production.
- Collaborates with Special Events teams on First Previews and Opening night events.
- Works with the Development department on grant-writing and building relationships with funders.
- Maintains list of community-based and artistic guests for Public Theater performances and coordinates House Seats for community participants with the General Management department.
- Assists Associate Director of Public Works with the creation of a Public Works Playbook through research, archiving work and documentation of classes at community sites.
- Manages all Public Works interns and volunteers.
- Throughout all of these activities, Manager should expect to include individuals and groups from the community partners. The Manager will work closely with the Director of Public Works and the staff of The Public who have some part in the production and marketing of Public Works performances.
The successful candidate will have 4-6 years of experience in the professional theater, or a community-based arts program and be adept at building collaborative relationships with a diverse array of people; the ability to see a problem from different angles and to build consensus, working with a wide range communities; have facility with community organizing; ability to work with people from all different backgrounds; Exceptional communication and interpersonal skills in the professional theater and/or community based art programs; a strong interest in and/or experience with community based arts; a keen sense of humor and affability in the face of fast-paced and sometimes chaotic environment, the ability to speak Spanish a plus.
Public Works is the community based theater program here at the Public. Public Works’s mission is to engage the people of New York by making them creators and not just spectators. Working deeply with partner organizations in all five boroughs, Public Works invites members of diverse communities to participate in workshops, take classes, attend performances at The Public, and, most importantly, to join in the creation of ambitious works of participatory theater.
ACTivate is a new tier of the groundbreaking Public Works initiative designed to bind our community together by connecting us to the great issues and dilemmas of our time. ACTivate fills in the gap between the year-round classes and annual Delacorte pageant in September by expanding a participant’s role in the artistic process, engaging an ensemble in every aspect of the creative process, and culminating this experience in an original piece.
Public Works Goes National - The Public will be working with affiliated theaters throughout the U.S. to shape a working model for national and international use. The three affiliate theaters are Dallas Theater Center in collaboration with the Meadows School of the Arts; Mosaic Youth Theater in Detroit; and Seattle Repertory Theater.
Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org